Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The first day at home

Since I've already been through this once, I figured that the second time around would be much easier.  Wow, did I forget some things.



One, infants have no interest in helping you dress them.  It's probably easier to dress a cat than an infant.  And they're strong.  Those little arms going into sleeves are like the same polar ends of magnets.

Two, as soon as infants have all clothing off, including diapers, that is when their tiny brain gets a signal to unleash all bodily functions.  Pea, poo, spit up, I've gotten it all today.  At the very moment I was about to put her new diaper on her is when she decided to pee all over her changing table, marking it like a wolf marks its territory.

Three, all that they do is sleep.  While this may sound nice, the spit up reflex does not shut off while sleeping.  I swear her body produces more milk in her stomach because there is no way that she eats as much as comes out of her.

Four, the joy of changing baby clothes that have been spit up on.  I have already discussed the joy of putting clothes on her, but now add spit up.  An olympic event should be trying to get clothes covered in spit up off of a baby and not getting any of that spit up on the baby.  I failed.  Miserably.  Her entire left side of her head was basically spackled in spit up like mortar for a brick.

In the first 8 hours of being home, we have gone through three outfits, three changing pad covers/blankets, and enough burp cloths that a quilt could be knitted out of them.  And I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. The best part about the internet is that it's here forever.

    Happy 16th birthday Carolyn! You always were a charmer.

    ReplyDelete