Monday, June 23, 2014

10 Years in a Box

Today I went to my office to clean out my desk and say goodbye to all of my now former co-workers.  Some of the items that I found in various drawers and cabinets were:

  • The Leisure Suit Larry PS2 game that I let someone borrow probably 6 years ago
  • The very first model of XM radio and the dock
  • 3 CD players
  • 4 different kinds of headphones
  • 8 uncashed winning scratch off tickets
 It was a bittersweet feeling, cleaning out my desk, as I have devoted the past 10 years of my life to my career at this company.  I survived the recession of 2008 in which approximately 20% of the company was laid off and the office that I was working in was closed down.  I liked my career (for the most part.)  Like all careers/jobs there are good days and bad.  But if I am being completely honest, lately there were more bad days than good.  The worst of it was simply getting to the office.  Since my old office was closed, I was transferred to an office that is 60 miles from my house.  In DC metro area traffic.  Needless to say I will NOT miss my commute.

I am still "officially" an employee and will start working part time many, many months from now, once I have a better feel for this stay at home dad thing.  Basically, I'm hedging my bets.  If this stay at home dad gig doesn't work out, I can go back to my old career.  That, however, is the worst case scenario.  I would much rather be at home screwing up my kids than sitting in a cube making other people richer.  I think most people would.




No comments:

Post a Comment